Boat Licenses


Marriage Commissioners

Marriage License

Before you get married in Alberta, you will need to purchase a Marriage license.

A marriage license is valid for three months from the date it is issued and is only valid to be married in the province of Alberta. We cannot provide a marriage license for a couple who live in Alberta if the marriage ceremony is to take place outside the province.

Both parties to the marriage must apply together for their marriage license with 2 pieces of valid ID.

Applicants must be at least 18 years of age (persons under the age of 18 must obtain consent to marry. Consent forms for minors are available from the marriage license issuer).

If the marital status of either party to the marriage is divorced, original copies of the final court documentation is required.

The bride and groom cannot be related by lines of consanguinity (close relation or connection). Federal legislation prohibits people from marrying if the are related linearly or as brother and sister, whether by whole blood, half blood or by adoption. Specifically: a woman may not marry her grandfather, father, grandson, son or brother. A man may not marry his grandmother, mother, granddaughter, daughter or sister.

Where either party are not fluent in English, they must provide a translator/interpreter who is over the age of 18 and is fluent in English as well as the language he is translating.

Where an applicant is mentally challenged notice must be made by the marriage license issuer to the appropriate trustee or guardian.

There are no residency requirements; blood tests are not required.

marriage licensesAdditional Information:

> Marriage License Application Form
> Marriage Ceremony Requirements
> Married Last Name
> Registration of Marriage

Marriage Commissioners
Crowfoot Plates recommends the following Marriage Commissioner:

Tamara Jones
Marriage Commissioner

Phone: 403.463.6918
Website: www.weddingsbytamara.com